Common Barriers to Breastfeeding
- Lack of knowledge: most are aware that breastfeeding is best source of nutrition, but less so about specifics about benefits and risks associated with not breastfeeding.
- Social norms: Bottle feeding in the US is viewed as “normal.” Furthermore, our culture has discouraged breastfeeding in public and made women feel uncomfortable doing what is natural.
- Poor family and social support.
- Lactation problems: Both physical and concerns about whether infant is “getting enough.”
- Maternal employment and lack of access to a combination of leave time and access to appropriate place to express breast milk.