Consultations for anxiety and depression involve:
- Obtaining a full history regarding the concern
- Performing a physical examination to identify potential underlying causes (such as thyroid deficiency) and or manifestations (such as cutting)
- Ordering of laboratory studies and referrals to specialists if indicated
- Administration of standardized assessment tools if indicated
- Making diagnosis and discussing treatment options or scheduling return visit if diagnosis is depending on laboratory studies or consultations with specialists.